This delicous meal idea comes from $5 dinners, an incredible recipe site. The author, Erin, makes all her meals for $5 and under- and they’re wonderful! She even has 2 cookbooks out now too, so check those out for sure. Chicken Wraps with Balsam-Melized Red Onions would be a beautiful meal to bring to someone. Bring it with a veggie or a salad for a side, and some kind of sweet item for dessert… perfection! Hope you’re all having a wonderful Monday so far!
picture from $5 dinners
2 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced ($2.14) On sale recently for $1.99/lb
1 red onion, sliced into strips ($.80)
1 Tbsp olive oil($.10)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar ($.35)
Heaping Tbsp sugar ($.03)
Few handfuls green leaf lettuce head, torn ($.25)
8 burrito size tortillas ($1.02)
Optional ingredient: swiss cheese for wraps
1. Grill the chicken- use whichever method works best for you
2. Onions- chop off the top and bottom, and slice down the middle in half (click here for the step by step directions with pictures…)
3. Peel away the skin, and slice into half moons.
4. Add to a large skillet with some hot olive oil and saute for 1-2 minutes, separating the half moons.
5. Add the balsamic vinegar.
6. Add some extra if you’d like. Now we’ve got the balsam part done.
7. And for the -melize part to these onions… add a heaping tablespoon of sugar. The tangy balsamic vinegar needs some sweetness to balance the flavors.
8. Toss it around. And when it starts to get all bubbly, turn the heat down to medium low.
9. Let the vinegar reduce, and let the onions take on the sweet, tangy flavor.
10. Add the chicken, onions, lettuce and swiss cheese (if you’d like) to make a delicious chicken wrap!