I’ve been doing some research to find the perfect St. Patrick’s Day meal idea to share with you, and I found out something that was new to me. Corned beef and cabbage is not a common meal in Ireland. Bacon and cabbage is far more common, which is why I chose this recipe to share with you. If you haven’t decided on what to make for dinner on St. Patrick’s Day, then try this Irish Bacon and Cabbage Soup… Have a great day!!!
IRISH BACON AND CABBAGE SOUP
recipe from Allrecipes
yields 4 servings
- 1/2 pound Irish bacon, diced (or pancetta would work too)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup chicken stock, or as needed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups thinly sliced dark green Savoy cabbage leaves
- Place bacon in a large, deep stockpot or saucepan. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain off any excess fat.
- Stir in potatoes, tomatoes, and enough chicken stock to cover. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cabbage and allow the soup to simmer for a few minutes longer before serving.