Veggie Lasagna From The Copycat Kitchen
Happy Monday, everyone! It’s a beautiful, cool, rainy day here… which makes me one happy girl! We welcome the rain here in Arizona.
Today I have a wonderful guest post for you written by a new friend of mine. Her name is Pauline, and she has a blog called The Copycat Kitchen. I know you will enjoy her meal idea, as well as any others that she brings to our Food Tidings community in the future! Have a great day, and be someone’s reason to smile today!
Foodtidings.com is an amazing website that my church has been using for years. I have used it several times to schedule meals for a friend who just had a baby, or another going through an illness. It blesses me to know that it is blessing them! I love that foodtidings.com makes it so easy to see what is being brought so that everyone doesn’t bring the same meal!
This recipe is called “Chunky Vegetable Lasagna.” It’s a meal that everyone likes…who doesn’t like vegetables smothered in cheese?! It uses 3 different cheeses and a pesto garlic-cream sauce. Whenever possible I made quick work of the prep work by using my Cuisinart food processor to chop/slice the veggies or grate cheese (all different blades). This was originally posted on my food blog where I like to recreate healthy versions of everyone’s favorite meals and desserts: www.thecopycatkitchen.com
12 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
3 cups broccoli, chopped (I used 3 cups zucchini because I didn’t have broccoli)
3 large carrots, coarsely shredded (about 2 cups)
2 cups tomatoes diced, drained (or 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes drained)
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
3/4 cup Pesto (you can buy in store or make your own easily)
1/4 tsp salt (I use unrefined pink Himalayan sea salt)
1 container Ricotta cheese (15 oz)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (*I like to grate my own in my food processor or by hand because any time you buy grated cheese it contains toxic preservatives and anti-caking agents–all not good for you)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 1/8 cup dried)
1 large egg (free range, pastured, organic fed is best!)
3 tbsp butter (never margarine! It is 1 molecule away from being plastic!)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
3 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 cups milk (grass fed is best)
3 cups mozzarella cheese (12 oz), shredded (*see above notes about grating your own cheese)
1) Cook and drain noodles according to directions.
2) Mix broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, Pesto and salt. (large bowl in picture)
3) Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, and egg (medium bowl in picture)
4) Melt butter in 2 quart sauce pan over medium heat. Cook garlic in butter about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until garlic is golden brown. Stir in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring CONSTANTLY (or it will burn!) until mixture is smooth and bubbly, remove from heat. Stir in milk. Put back on the burner and heat to boiling, again stirring CONSTANTLY (or it will burn!) Boil and stir 1 minute.
5) Heat oven to 350 degrees.
6) Place 3 noodles in ungreased rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches.
Spread half the cheese mixture over noodles.
Top with 3 noodles, spread with half the veggie mixture
Sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
Top with 3 noodles; spread remaining cheese mixture.
Top with 3 noodles; spread evenly the remaining veggie mixture.
Pour milk/butter sauce evenly over the top.
Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
7) Bake uncovered 35-40 min or until hot in center. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting
Makes 8 (big) servings, 540 calories each